QUICK REFERENCES:DIRECTIONS: Addr esses and directions to Garden Spot and regional schools and club teams.
TEAM ABBREVIATIONS: List of team names and commonly used abbreviations at tournaments and events.
SCHOLARSHIP LIST: List of available scholarships for Garden Spot wrestlers.
- ELEMENTARY SCHOOL TOURNAMENT: Held in January, the tournament is for youth grades K-6.
- THOMAS HECKER DUALS: Held in late January in honor of Coach Thomas Hecker, this is a high school duals tournament for grades 9-12.
- WRESTLING GEAR: List of the gear needed for Spartan wrestlers
- PRACTICE BASICS: What wrestlers and parents need to do and know about practices
- TOURNAMENT BASICS: What wrestlers and parents need to do and know at a tournament
- WRESTLING FOR DUMMIES: (307Kb pdf document)
- PARENTS GUIDE TO YOUTH WRESTLING: (2.4Mb pdf document)
- REFEREE SIGNALS: (144Kb pdf document)
- WEBSITES OF INTEREST: Links to related sites
- HAND-ME-DOWN PROGRAM: As your wrestler grows out of their old shoes and headgear, instead of throwing out them out, please turn them in to be added to our hand-me-down program. If you are interested in shoes or headgear from this program, see a coach at practice.
- OFF SEASON WRESTLING PROGRAMS: Information about off season area club teams and opportunities for Spartan wrestlers
Location: Practices for all Garden Spot wrestling programs, Youth, Middle School and High School, are held in the Garden Spot High School Wrestling Room and auxilary gym which are side-by-side. Access to the wrestling room is on the stadium side of the school, nearest to the main gate of the stadium.
Very Important: For the safety of our wrestlers and as agreed upon with Garden Spot High School, WRESTLERS AND SIBLINGS ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THE CLIMBING WALL IN THE AUXILLARY GYM. Wrestlers and siblings are also not allowed in any other parts of the school when they are there for practice. Access has been granted for Mat Club use of the wrestling and locker facilities only. We ask that parents help enforce the rule at all times with their own children and others.
The Proper Gear for Spartan Practices:
Water Bottle (preferred)
NOTE: Shorts and t-shirts should be somewhat tight fitting so their opponent's hands and feet do not get caught in them and so hands and feet are not hidden allowing coaches to see if they are practicing a move correctly.
The Proper Gear for Spartan Meets and Tournaments:
NOTE: Singlets are required at meets and tournaments. Spartan team singlets are available for purchase. Wrestlers must wear Spartan team singlets so they are easily spotted at the tournaments by coaches and parents.
WHAT PARENTS NEED TO DO AND KNOW ABOUT PRACTICES
- Homework comes first. If homework isn't completed before practice, it is more imporant to stay home to complete it than to attend practice.
- Arrive 15 minutes before the practice start time to leave enough time to take the layers of clothes off and change shoes.
- Shorts, t-shirts, wrestling shoes and headgear are the proper attire for practice. Short and t-shirts should be somewhat tight fitting so their opponent's hands and feet do not get caught in them and so hands and feet are not hidden allowing coaches to see if they are practicing a move correctly.
- Headgear is mandatory for all wrestlers and must be worn during the entire practice. Please write the wrestler's last name in permanent marker on their headgear.
IMPORTANT: For the safety of our wrestlers and to prevent skin deseases, we need to keep our mats and wrestlers as clean as possible:
- Be sure your wrestler(s) shower immediately after practice or as soon as they get home from practice.
- Practice clothes must be washed after every practice. Clothes should never be worn a second time to practice without being washed between practices.
- Only wrestling shoes are to be worn on the mats during practice.
- Wrestling shoes are not to be worn off the mat. Be sure wrestlers carry their shoes in from the car, put them on when they get to the mat and take them off matside at the end of practice. They should never be worn outside.
- Spray wrestling shoes and headgear with a disinfectant spray regularly.
- Water fountains are available for the wrestlers, but water bottles are preferred.
WHAT PARENTS NEED TO DO AND KNOW AT A TOURNAMENT
- Be sure your wrestler(s) arrive and weigh-in on time. Check tournament information for weigh-in and start times, each vary with every tournament.
- For youth wrestlers, it is always good to bring a copy of their birth certificate in case of an age challenge.
- Wrestling headgear is required.
- Singlets are required at most tournaments. Club team singlets are available from each wrestler. Wrestlers are to wear Spartan singlets so they are easily spotted at the tournaments by coaches and parents.
- Know and listen for your wrestlers bout number to be called and to which mat number.
- Bout numbers are found on the brackets. To find your wrestlers bracket, know their weight class(es) and which division.
IMPORTANT: No parents or siblings are allowed mat side, you must remain in the stands.
- For individual wrestler tournaments, (tournaments outside of league functions) fees are due for each wrestler. Fees do vary and can be found on each tournament application.